Sat, Sep 02|
7304 Hollow Rd
Beginner Bladesmithing Class
Learn the process of making a Forged Full-Tang knife with cord-wrapped handle!
Time & Location
Sep 02, 9:00 AM – Sep 03, 5:00 PM
7304 Hollow Rd, 7304 Hollow Rd, Middletown, MD 21769, USA
About The Event
Skill Level: Beginner, Novice
PreRequisites: None. This is a Beginner's class, but can be enjoyed by Smith's of all levels.
Instructor and ABS Journeyman Smith Ed Clarke will be teaching you the Basics of the Knife Making process. Participants will learn to Forge, Rough Grind, Heat Treat, Finish Grind, and Sharpen a Full-Tang knife blade! All phases of the process will be explained and demonstrated. If time permits, participants may even get to install a Cord-Wrapped handle!
Ed Clarke will instruct participants on the following:
- Knife Design, Construction, & Geometry Theory (1-2 hrs. classroom)
- Rough Grinding
- Heat Treating Theory (1 hr. classroom)
- Heat Treating Performed (Shop)
- Finish Grinding
- Blade Finishing (Belt finish methods, hand sanding methods, etc.)
- Handle Construction Theory (classroom)
- Application of a Cord-Wrapped Handle
Participants will learn to Forge, Rough Grind, Heat Treat, Finish Grind, and Sharpen a Full-Tang knife! All phases of the process will be explained and demonstrated. If time permits, participants may even get to install a Cord-Wrapped handle!
- The goals noted above must be acheived each day.
- Students finishing early may stay to assist others or may leave early.
- Students will not be permitted to work ahead of the class plan.
***This is a great opportunity to learn directly from ABS Journeyman Smith Ed Clarke, and under Ed's guidance complete your own Forged Full-Tang Knife. To be successful in this class, students do not require any previous experience. This is a Beginner's Class, but can be enjoyed by Smith's with more experience as well (you can never learn too much)! All steps of the process will be covered, with tips and info resources. Students must bring their own PPE (personal protection equipment, including Safety Glasses, Welding Gloves, Hearing Protection, and Respirator).
Basic Knife Making Class
Forge and finish your very own Full-Tang Knife!